This dish has fast become my go-to recipe when I need something quick that’s delicious, filling and full of
Whilst the recipe is with mushrooms and peas, I have used sliced Brussel sprouts instead of peas and added spinach too on occasions, all work really well.
I use a plain coconut
The nutritional yeast isn’t absolutely necessary so if you don’t have it in your cupboard, don’t like it or don’t think you’d use it in other dishes you can leave it out. I like the nutty, cheesy flavour it lends to the sauce.
Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast and considered a complete protein as it contains all 18 amino acids. It is rich in B vitamins and fortified with B12 which is needed for making red blood cells, energy production and a healthy nervous system. Nutritional yeast is a great option for those who follow a vegan diet as vitamin B12 is only available via animal products.
Creamy Mushroom & Pea Pasta
- 1 serving -pasta, uncooked
- -1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- -1/4 red onion peeled & finely sliced
- -100g mushrooms cleaned and sliced (I used chestnut mushrooms)
- -1/3 cup peas
- -1/4 cup unflavoured dairy-free yoghurt I use coyo coconut yoghurt
- -1/2 tsp. dijon mustard
- -2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- -salt & pepper to taste
- Place the pasta in a pan of salted boiling water and cook as per packet instructions. Once cooked, drain but reserve some of the cooking water and set pasta aside.
- In a medium sauté pan, warm the oil and add the sliced onion, cooking for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Once the onion has softened, add the mushrooms to the pan and cook over a medium heat, stirring often.
- Once the mushrooms have started to soften add the peas to the pan along with the mustard and nutritional yeast, stirring well to combine.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and add the yoghurt, stirring until fully combined with the vegetables and smooth. Add the pasta to the pan and stir until it is coated with the sauce. If sauce is too thick, add some of the reserved cooking water.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.